Corinth Forum Shops

Remains of shops on the western side of the forum at Corinth, 150 C.E. Photograph by Todd Bolen.

Located on the isthmus that joins mainland Greece to the Peloponnese, Corinth was one of the most prosperous and economically diverse cities in the ancient Greek and Roman empires. In 1896, the American School of Classical Studies in Athens began a systematic excavation of the ancient city and has continued more or less uninterrupted until the present day. This image depicts the remains of retail shops from the Roman period located on the western side of the Corinthian forum, or marketplace. The western shops in this image were constructed in 150 C.E., a century after Paul’s visit to Corinth. 

Church at Corinth - Shops

A site where older artifacts are dug up or otherwise revealed.

 NEH Logo
Bible Odyssey has been made possible in part by the National Endowment for the Humanities: Exploring the human endeavor
Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this website, do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.